Friday 26 June 2009

King of Pop

As you know, Michael Jackson has being pronounced dead, died of cardiac arrest on June 25, 2009, and aged 50. I am deeply saddened by this occurrence because I feel he was a part of my youth.

I was born in the year thriller went platinum (1983), I am sure my mother was listening to one of his songs on the way to birth me into this world.

In the early 1980s, he became a dominant figure in pop music and the first entertainer to accrue a strong crossover following on MTV. The popularity of his music videos airing on MTV, such as "Beat It", "Billie Jean" and Thriller—credited for transforming the music video into an art form and a promotional too. Videos such as "Black or White" and "Scream" made Jackson an enduring staple on MTV. With stage performances and music videos, Jackson popularized a number of physically complicated dance techniques, such as the robot and the moonwalk. His distinctive musical sound and vocal style influenced many hip hop, pop and contemporary R&B artists. I watched Neyo(the singer) last night as he paid tributes to the king of pop. He had spoken to him about making a comeback album. He was arguably the most famous person in the world. People in uncivilised world must have heard a Michael Jackson song. Although Jackson’s music career hit its peak in the 80’s, his influence on music, and especially music videos, has persisted throughout.

He was one of the few artists to have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice; he also gained other achievements including multiple Guinness World Records, Most Successful Entertainer of All Time, 13 Grammy Awards, 13 number one singles in his solo career.

I remember Michael from his music videos, my friends and I belting thriller at the top of our voices while trying to do the moon walk. I remember the Pepsi commercials. Michael made me toss a bottle of Coke cola into the bin and replace it with a bottle of Pepsi. I did not know what the difference was between the two beverages (and I still do not know) but if it was good enough for Michael, it was good enough for me.

There have being so much in the press about his abnormal life but who are we to judge. He had done things many people might never do in ten life times. I appreciate the fact he is not perfect, and although he had surrounded himself with people that fed off him, he was still a genius. There will be no other Michael Jackson. He loved children, in any case, his love for boys might have brought him before the law twice, and we would never know what went on during those times; however he was acquitted of every sexual charge against him. He was an eccentric character, his baby dangling over the balcony in Germany, his choice of fashion, his love for facial surgery and his impulse spending should have being viewed as a cry for help due to his very apparent low self esteem and not a platform or grounds for attacking his character.

I will remember Michael Jackson as the King of Pop, who wrote the Grammy award winning song “we are the world” and “heal the world”. Say what you like, he tried to elevate child poverty with these songs. Whoever does that in my book will forever be a legend.

Rest in Peace Michael Jackson, there will never be none like you and you are alive again forever in our hearts.

“Think about the generations and to say we want to make it a better world for our children and our children's children. So that they know it's a better world for them; and think if they can make it a better place.” Michael Jackson “Heal the world”

1 comment:

OreKe LeWa said...

Yea... i finally got thru..lol. Nicely written.